Also known as Postural Dysfunction
Postural syndrome of the neck is a relatively common condition that causes pain in the neck without significant damage or trauma to tissue. You can also experience a dull ache or burning sensation in the neck and can be accompanied by symptoms in the upper back or shoulders during activities placing sustained stress on normal tissue.
Postural Syndrome is experienced when poor posture is maintained for prolonged periods of time. This can occur in any position e.g. sitting, standing, lying etc.
Causes of Postural Pain
- Joint stiffness (particularly of the neck, upper back or hips)
- A sedentary lifestyle
- Poor Posture
- Poor core stability
- Muscle weakness
- Muscle tightness
- Occupational Posture pain
- Decreased fitness or fatigue
- Inadequate post surgical recovery periods
How can Rehab Basics help?
The prognosis of patients with postural syndrome is proved to work provided the patient is motivated and compliant with physiotherapy treatment, advice and exercises. Most patients can achieve pain free status immediately upon correction of poor posture. Retraining movement patterns and performing appropriate exercises is essential to prevent symptom recurrence.
Physiotherapy treatment includes:
- Postural re-education and re-training
- Improve strength, posture and flexibility
- Postural Taping
- Postural bracing
- Joint mobilisation (particularly to the lower neck and upper back)
- The use of a lumbar support for sitting
- Activity modification advice
- Biomechanical correction
Treatment Sessions are offered in clinics across Northamptonshire and Milton Keynes or at Home Environment.
For further information about our service or to book an appointment with Rehab Basics please contact us
Rehab Basics offers Treatment Sessions in Clinics across Northamptonshire and Milton Keynes OR at Home Environment.