Hypotonia is the medical term for decreased muscle tone. Hypotonia is a symptom rather than a condition. It can be caused by a number of different underlying health problems, many of which are inherited.
Neurological conditions that affect the Central Nervous System and can cause central hypotonia include:
- Cerebral Palsy
- Brain and Spinal Cord Injury – including bleeding in the brain
- Serious Infections – such as Meningitis (an infection of the outside membrane of the brain) and Encephalitis (an infection of the brain itself)
Neurological conditions that affect the Peripheral Nervous System and can cause peripheral hypotonia include:
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease
Non-neurological problems that can cause hypotonia in newborn babies and young children include:
- Down’s syndrome
- Prader-Willi syndrome
- Tay-Sachs disease
- Congenital Hypothyroidism
- Marfan syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos syndrome
- Connective Tissue Disorders
- Being born prematurely (before week 37 of pregnancy)
Hypotonia in later life
Hypotonia can sometimes occur in older children and adults, although this is less common. It can be caused by some of the problems mentioned above, but other possible causes include:
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Motor Neurone Disease
How Can Rehab Basics Help?
We appreciate that every child is an individual and hence a personalised treatment plan will be agreed and implanted on discussion with parents and other professionals (if involved).
Treatment plan will/may include:
- Improve Muscle strength and endurance
- Gait Analysis and Training
- Help with balance and co-ordination.
- Vestibular rehabilitation
- Posture management.
- Wheelchair assessment
- Splints/Orthosis referral to appropriate department.
- Personalised home exercise programs.
- Recommendation to other services.
Depending on the condition Rehab Basics will work with the child and family to achieve child’s full potential.
Treatment Sessions are offered in clinics across Northamptonshire and Milton Keynes or at Home Environment.
For further information about our service or to book an appointment with Rehab Basics please contact us.
Rehab Basics offers Treatment Sessions in Clinics across Northamptonshire and Milton Keynes OR at Home Environment.