It’s not always possible to identify the cause of back pain.
Medical conditions that cause back pain includes:
- A Slipped (prolapsed) disc (a disc of cartilage in the spine pressing on a nerve) – this can cause back pain and numbness, tingling and weakness in other parts of the body
- Sciatica (irritation of the nerve that runs from the lower back to the feet) – this can cause pain, numbness, tingling and weakness in the lower back, buttocks, legs and feet
- Ankylosing Spondylitis (swelling of the joints in the spine) – this causes pain and stiffness that’s usually worse in the morning and improves with movement
- Spondylolisthesis (a bone in the spine slipping out of position) – this can cause lower back pain and stiffness, as well as numbness and a tingling sensation
- Neck Pain can cause back pain as well.
Very rarely, back pain can be a sign of a serious problem such as:
- a broken bone in the spine
- an infection
- cauda equina syndrome (where the nerves in the lower back become severely compressed)
How can Rehab Basics Help?
- Physiotherapy Before and After Back Surgery – There is substantial evidence supporting the benefits of Physiotherapy and exercise both before and after back surgery. The strength and stability that physiotherapy provides can significantly shorten a patient’s recovery time after surgery. Physiotherapy and exercise are considered an important part of most back pain patients’ treatments, including those undergoing non-surgical and surgical care. This is because patients with low back pain are most likely to recover when the patient is in optimum physical condition. Unless there is a contraindication for Physiotherapy or a patient requires emergency surgery, most patients are advised to undergo a trial of Physiotherapy prior to considering back surgery.
- Mckenzie Technique
- Treating Neuropathic pain
- Stretching and strengthening neck muscles
- Posture Management
Treatment Sessions are offered in clinics across Northamptonshire and Milton Keynes or at Home Environment.
For further information about our service or to book an appointment with Rehab Basics please contact us.
Rehab Basics offers Treatment Sessions in Clinics across Northamptonshire and Milton Keynes OR at Home Environment.